John Shonubi – Chief Executive Officer & Co-Founder
VP-SHOM Management Team is led by John Shonubi, a company he Co-Founded with Mr. Adegboyega Omooba. John has over 27 years’ experience in ICT 22 years of which was at British Telecommunications Plc. (BT) - 3 years in its lease-line Private Circuit Project Management, 2 years in BT Mobile (GSM equivalent) customer service, 4 years in Broadcast Data Project Management, 5 years in VSAT Strategic & Service Management and 8 years in sales and marketing of Wholesale IP products to African Telecom Operators, Satellite, Media & Broadcast Product Sales and Service Management to Global fortune 500 companies.
Prior to VP-SHOM, John was the Regional GM Africa - BT Global Services Media & Broadcast - responsible for strategy and sales across the African continent; where he led the strategy, grew the business at a CAGR of 30 - 40% year on year. This role included membership of BT’s Regional Executive committee; where strategic decisions concerning Middle East and Africa were made. Under John’s leadership, strategic direction and management, BT invested in a Global Media/IT Network Point of Presence (PoP) in 2 African countries; connecting Africa to the world's key Locations. Over a 3 month period, John was on special assignment in Dubai assisting in BT’s decision to invest in the Middle East’s Media Network.
- John is a Fellow of The Institute of Customer Relationship Management BT MSc Telecoms Engineering – Telecoms Business Environment (Distinction) - UCL London
- BT MSc Telecoms Engineering – Operating a Telecommunications Business (Module Certificate) UCL London
- BSc Business Administration and Management, West Coast University
- John successfully completed(by BT CXO invitation only) BT’s Advance Consulting – Belgium, Spain & Cambridge University, UK(Sponsored by British Telecoms)
- John was the Founder/Director First Love Media Training Ltd and First Love Radio (FLR) 1996-2000, South East London’s First Legal black Radio Station equity participation included Trinity Group (owners of UK’s Daily Mirror Group) and UKRD Radio Group.
- John is a high achiever with prestigious awards in Sales & Marketing (‘Outstanding Over-achievement 172%' award 2005); Project Management (BT Global Services 'Above and Beyond' award 1998).
- John famously successfully negotiated tripartite agreement with BT on behalf of a major International Oil and Gas customer in the 1990s with a North African government; a shift in policy in a monopoly environment.
- John has successfully consulted for and delivered ICT projects for a number of the Global Fortune 500 companies including but not limited to: Citigroup, Chevron, Exxon Mobil, Visa International, Cooper Cameron, ENI Saipem, Unilever, FCMB Bank, Ford Motor Company, CNBC Africa, Reuters, Volvo, Safeway, Royal Bank of Scotland and Microsoft.
- At BT, John was responsible for providing Primary Internet capacity via satellite to Telkom Kenya, Zanzibar Telecom, Mauritius Telecom, Eritel, Telecom Malagasy
- John experience has led him to work with Du Telecom in Dubai, Saudi Research and other Middle East entities
- John was responsible for setting up BT VSAT reseller agreements in over 15 African countries
- John’s ICT experience spans all continents of the world including Asia; and this he brings to the benefit of VP-SHOM and Nigeria